Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Recipe
Authentic, flavoursome and delicious, these Greek-inspired Gyros are the ultimate camp sharer.
This recipe can be made from scratch at the campsite or prepped ahead of your trip for extra ease. We recommend intensifying the flavours by marinating the chicken overnight at home, but this is just as tasty done at camp!
Check out the full recipe below:
Chicken Gyros with TzatzikiCourse: LunchCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Intermediate
1 red onion
- For the marinade
200ml greek yogurt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
- For tzatziki
1/2 cucumber (grated)
200ml greek yogurt
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
Fresh lemon juice
- To 200ml Greek yogurt, add 1 tsp of coriander, paprika, cinnamon and black pepper
- Next up, add 2-3 tsp of crushed garlic
- Drizzle in your olive oil
- Sprinkle in a pinch of salt
- Mix well and finish with a generous squeeze of lemon juice, seasoning to taste
- Finely grate 1/2 a cucumber and add to 200ml of Greek Yogurt
- Chop 2 cloves of garlic and some fresh dill, adding both to the mixture
- Season with a final squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Add frying oil to a saucepan and set aside to heat using the camp stove
- Thinly slice the potatoes lengthways, creating thin fries
- Place the fries into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan
- After marinating, skewer the chicken making 3-4 even portions
- Place the skewers in the pan with the ends as far away from the heat as possible, helping you turn these as they cook
- Once cooking, slice the halloumi and add this to the pan to fry. Flip the halloumi during cooking for an even brown colour
- Slice 1 red onion and 2 tomatoes to create a salad garnish
- Spread the tzatziki mixture onto each pitta bread and add the salad, halloumi and fries
- Remove the chicken from the skewers and add to the wraps, using one portion per pitta
Camp Cooking with Sea to Summit
Feeling inspired? Check out our other recipes on the Camp Kitchen hub.
We passionately designed a range of lightweight, compact equipment, showing that camp stove cooking can be easy, without compromising on flavour.Discover our collection of cooking accessories to see the equipment we used to bring these flavours to life.
Don’t forget to share your camp stove cooking with us using our hashtags #seatosummituk and #CampKitchen!